Some initial thoughts and quick takeaways from 2014 VidCon:
Presented by new CEO Susan Wojcicki
- Fan Subtitles
- Viewers/Subscribers will now be able to add translation subtitles to other people’s videos. Google Translate will help automate and manage the process but individual partners can also police in ‘Creator Studio’ (the new name for YouTube Partner Dashboard).
- Commitment to Off-Platform Marketing and Promotion
- YouTube will be rolling out additional TV, out-of-home and other ad campaigns for individual channels and partners (including Vice News).
- YouTube partnering with Sirius
- Launching “Top 15 with Jenna Marbles” on satellite radio
- Will showcase new, independent music ‘breaking’ on YouTube
- Jenna juxtaposition onstage with Susan Wojcicki was a testament to spirit of YouTube.
- Crowd-funding Live Link Annotations
- Channels will now be able to link directly to (approved) crowd-funding platforms in-video.
- Subscribers can now ‘tip’ their favorite Creators in increments of $1, $5, ‘Other’ (up to $500 per day).
- Transaction is managed by Google Wallet. No rev share with YouTube but a minor ‘transaction fee.’
- Creator Studio Mobile App
- Channels will now be able to access Analytics and CMS functionality via YouTube mobile app.
- Video Views will be refreshed in near real-time (vs. 301+ for first few hours).
All Eyes on Beauty
Presented by Beauty TV at Silicon Beach Fest
Beauty is the fastest growing category for original content on digital platforms. Hear Top YouTube beauty gurus, legacy beauty brands, and advertisers discuss their approach to creating great content for broadband, mobile, OTT and social media.
Adam Wescott, Executive Producer (Beauty TV)
Rob E. Angelino, Founder and CEO (Beauty TV)
Julie G., YouTube Beauty Guru
MyLifeAsEva, YouTube Beauty Guru [577K+ Subscribers]
Kayley Melissa, YouTube Beauty Guru [485K+ Subscribers]
Jeffrey Ten, VP of New Markets at Natures Sunshine Product
Corey Weiss, Head of Business Development (IPSY)
Excited to share the refresh/premiere of my client Beauty TV! I came on-board to overhaul (lovingly referred to as ‘refresh’) content and distribution strategy including executive producing original video with top YouTube nail and makeup guru Julie G. Beauty TV is available on YouTube, Roku, Samsung Smart TV, TiVo Hot List and more. Check out the official Press Release.